Picking a prom dress is one of the most awaited moments in our life. Every girl dreams of her prom: a magical night with a gorgeous date and the perfect dress! However, when prom season arrives, shopping for the perfect dress for prom might seem a bit daunting.
Have no fear! We have gathered some expert advice on how to shop for prom dresses. The perfect dress for you is out there! You just need to know how to look.
Whether you are looking for prom gowns or homecoming dresses, our expert advice on how to find the perfect dress will calm your fears. Take our advice and you’ll be the belle of the ball!
Tips On Finding the Perfect Dress for Your Prom
1. Start saving for your dress early in the year. Plan a budget and stick to it, but don’t forget to factor in extra money for shoes, hair accessories, jewelry and makeup!
2. Start shopping around no more than six weeks before the big night. It is better to have time for alterations, if needed.v
3. Check out the latest trends by looking through fashion magazines and watching celebrities on the red carpet. Look online for inspiration. Or, simply window shop until you find the gown that catches your eyes.
4. Fancy fabric! You want your prom dress to stand out from every other dress in your wardrobe. Think tulle, silk, chiffon, velvet, satin, and lace. You have waited for this night for years, so find the dress that makes you feel like the diva you are!
5. Look for a neckline that flatters your face and accentuates your figure.
6. Choose a color that you like but that also compliments your features such as hair color, skin tone, and eye color.
7. Once you narrowed down your choice of style for your prom dress, you should try that style in various finishes and colors. You never know when you will find the perfect shade to compliment your skin tone and hair color.
8. Choose a fabric that will flatter your figure. Matte finishes will take away from those features that are most undesirable, while shiner fabrics will only enhance those flaws.
Now when you know the basics, let’s get to the specifics. How to choose the right dress for your body type and skin tone, facial structure?
Heart Shaped Face
Those with a heart shaped face would better widen their face. So, you should choose a gown with horizontal lines near the neck or a wide or higher neckline.
Square Shaped Face
Those with a square face should opt for a dress with a vertical shape such as a scoop or cowl necks or a Sabrina sweetheart dress. Stay away from square necklines as these will not flatter your face shape.
Triangle Shaped Face
For those with a triangular shaped face, it’s better to shop for a dress that will add curves to the face. Like cowl or scoop necks, sweetheart necklines or a Sabrina neckline.
Those with oblong faces should look for a dress that will make their face appear rounder. Stay away from V-necks and opt for wider and rounder necklines, cowl necks or Sabrina gowns.
For those with a rounder face, you need a dress that will elongate your face. For example, sweetheart necklines, scoop necks, V-necks, Empire and Queen Anne Necklines. Do not choose a dress with a high neckline as this will not flatter your face.
Oval Shaped Face
If you have been blessed with an hourglass figure, you should look for a dress that will flatter your waist while maintaining an elegant balance between your top and bottom. For example, a dress with sleeves will require a full skirt. And a dress that is tight at the top must also be tight on the thighs and hips.
If you have a more rectangular figure, find a dress that will add volume to both your torso and lower half of your body, while defining your waste. For example, dresses with full skirts, A-lines, ruffles, and files. An Empire dress will be extremely flattering to your figure.
For those with a pear-shaped figure, you need to find a dress that will give you the appearance of an hourglass figure. So, shop for a dress that draws attention away from your upper body and toward your bust and shoulders. Wrap dresses, A-lines, and dresses with well-defined wastes will help draw attention to your torso.
Inverted Triangle Shape
If your body shape is an inverted triangle, you need to add more volume to the lower half of your body. This will distract from your broad shoulders. An Empire line dress will create the illusion of an hourglass figure. Wrap dresses, deep v-neck A-lines, fuller skirts and dresses with higher waists will be most flattering for your body type.
For those with an apple body shape, you should find a dress that will maintain an even balance between your upper and lower body, while creating the illusion of a tiny waist. Square, scoop and sweetheart necklines are flattering as well as A-line and Empire dresses.
The color of your prom dress will reveal a lot about your style and personality. A red dress cries for attention whereas a black dress screams sophistication. A blue dress exudes confidence, while a pink dress reveals your soft and feminine side.
You need to choose the color of your prom gown based on your personality and flair as well as your hair color, eye color, and complexion. You don’t want a dress that will wash out your skin tone. Find a color that compliments your natural beauty. This is why it is crucial to try on as many dresses as possible and not just to order the first dress you fancy online. The right color can make all the difference for your entire look.